Thursday, March 25, 2010

Wouldn't Want to Waste His Time

Yesterday on the way home we started talking about organ donation. Don't ask why. I think it started with talk about an earthworm.
Normally when a touchy subject comes up, I try to distract them by yelling, "Look - a squirrel!" (You'd be surprised by how often that works.)
But I wanted them to know that it is important to be an organ donor so I told them that I was. And if something ever happened to me, at least I could hopefully help someone else who maybe needed my heart or another part of me.
I should have known that they would then start in about death and dying.
Andrew got very upset and I started to yell about the squirrel when he said, "But Mommy, if you die, we'll have to stay at school forever until Daddy gets off work! I don't want to sit in the carpool line that long!!"
So he won't necessarily miss me, but will someone just please go pick him up early?!?

4 comments:

  1. That's a valid worry for the boys. Since I am
    experienced in carpool lines, I'll volunteer.
    Tell them on Fridays, we always stop at MacDonald's
    for an ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take them to Sonic on Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not going to tell them about the ice cream. We only get slushes on Fridays so if they thought there was a chance for more, they might off me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. watch your back...it's three against one. I speak from experience...

    ReplyDelete